Route 66

... As we continued our trip West we had to stop in Adrian, TX as it is considered the Halfway Point on Route 66. Our interest was the Phillips 66 gas station as we had visited this place a few years ago and did take pictures. We wanted to refresh our gallery with newer pictures and those of HDR. As we got to the station I was a bit dissapointed as there was a big truck along with a trailer parked right in front of the Gas station blocking the view of the building. I decided that I would take the picture anyway since we were there. As I was getting my camera settings ready on top of my tripod a gentleman drove up in a blue pickup. He was very friendly and asked what we were doing. I told him I wanted to take pictures of the station, he stated "Well how are you going to do that with this truck in the way, do you want me to move it". I was shocked and said, yes that would be nice. He introduced himself as Roy Kiewert, the owner of the Phillips 66 station. He started to tell us his story about how the Gas Station came to be and how he became the owner. He then proceeded to ask me if I wanted to come inside and take some pictures! How could I resist! I was going to get a personal tour of the famous Route 66 Gas Station! While he continued to tell his story I was finding places to take pictures. He was just as excited to see us as we were of taking pictures of this place. We wanted to spend about 15 minutes here but ended up spending about 1.5 hours. We felt like kids in a new play house, however the play house being history! We enjoyed every second of it, along with Roy's hospitality! Hope you enjoy the pictures!






Comments

Popular Posts